Welcome to seishunkanhr
Former Dai Kuju Bank Head Office
      "Former Dai Kuju Bank Head Office"
           (at that time of completion)
Owned by Nagau (sakanacho)
         Photographed by Kara Takeshi photo studio

 The Dai Kuju Bank was established in former Jusannichi Machi in 1878 (Meiji 11) and was the first bank founded by local capital. The shareholders were 94 member of the Nambu clan loyal retainers with a capital of 100,000 yen

In 1910 (Meiji 43), the Dai Kuju Bank Head Office (Morioka Takuboku and Kenji Museum) was built in Gofukucho where now it is. Tsutomu Yokohama(1878-1960) who is from Morioka city designed this building.

 Kingo Tatsuno, the leading authority of the Western architecture of Japan, who designed Tokyo Station and the Bank of Japan also designed the Bank of Morioka with Manji Kasai who is from Morioka City. The Dai Kuju Bank was completed about five month earlier than the red brick building of the Bank of Morioka.

 These buildings show two different main currents of Western style construction history of Japan. The Bank of Morioka was a kind of compilation of construction styles of the Meiji Period while the Dai Kuju Bank was an advanced construction linked to the Taisho Period.

 After graduating from Morioka junior high school (famous for the alma mater of Takuboku Ishikawa and Kenji Miyazawa), Tsutomu Yokohama went on to Tokyo Empire University majoring architectonics. Graduating from the University, he became a building engineer and worked for the Ministry of Justice. With full of fresh sensitivity, he adopted the western style of architecture into the building early, taking the Romanesque Revivals for externals and the management office: and other rooms for Secession. In the period of time, Japan was undergoing its transition period in the area of architecture, learning the Western style of architecture.

 According to the general rule of the architecture in those days, the management room is often built in open ceiling space. However, the Dai Kuju Bank has a characteristic feature designing management room in the first floor and the general meeting room in the second floor. The Dai Kuju bank helped Morioka regional company as a community bank. They think the relationship between shareholder and banks are important. That’s why they had different arrangement of the rooms. It can be said symbol of Taisho democracy in Morioka city.


Appearance of building create an aura of elegance


盛岡啄木賢治青春館正門門アーチ

 This building looks very graceful. It follows German Romanesque style (11th century to 12th century).

The building has a roof with slates and copper dormant window. Glazed brownish yellow brick surrounds external of it. Morioka made Granite is arranged in front of the front and the window of the second floor. The shutter looked from the front is arranged asymmetry. This is Tsutomu Yokohama’s only work that exists in Morioka.

盛岡啄木賢治青春館屋根

 Former Dai Kuju Bank was restored in 2003 as Morioka Takuboku and Kenji Museum. This building was designated as a National Important Cultural Property in 2005 admitted its originality of its design. It was a third designation in Iwate Prefecture.


Local poet Takubku Ishikawa and Kenji Miyazawa


盛岡啄木賢治青春館鎧戸

 

Takuboku Ishikawa and Kenji Miyazawa have ten years age gap. Takuboku had spent 11years, from 1895 to 1906, in Morioka as a junior high school student and high school one. Kenji had spent 11 years, from 1909 to 1920 as a high school student and the University student. They must have spent hopeful days in their school time: had fun with their friends: skipped their class to read books at the Morioka Castle Site Park.

During this period, modernization comes to the front. They must have experienced modernization of the Morioka city. Please make yourself comfortable and fun time in Morioka Takuboku and Kenji Museum.